[TYPO3-core] RFC: performance improvemenets for database

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry at typo3.org
Fri Jan 26 15:21:35 CET 2007

Andreas Otto wrote:
> Hi Dmitry,
>
> On Friday 26 January 2007 14:38, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
>> Do you really think we have to care about proper setup of InnoDb, mysql,
>> Apache, raid, swap, etc? This is out of scope.
>
> +1, this is really out of scope.
>
> But, we are changing something that has always worked without thinking about
> prerequisites. We cannot make sure that this will work for everyone
> flawlessly if they haven't configured their server correctly. What we can do
> is mentioning what they have to watch out for.

If they have innodb disabled, this will not cause any problems - myisam
will be used instead automatically.

If they did not configure innodb for autoexpand, this will become a
problem for any site that uses innodb, not only for typo3. This is a
question of system administration.

What we can do is to modify installation instructions (where are they
actually?) and say that "Starting from version 4.1 TYPO3 uses InnoDB as
database engine for several tables. This helps to prevent locks and
increase performance. Also InnoDB is more crash-resistant comaring to
MyISAM. We recommend to review your MySQL configuration and ensure that
your table space has "autoexpand" option enabled. See MySQL manual for
more information about configuring InnDB. If you do not have InnoDB
enabled, MySQL will use MyISAM automatically and you need not take any
actions".

What do you think?

--
Dmitry Dulepov