[TYPO3-core] RFC: 0006967: File List: "Show Thumbnails" does not take precedence if user-setup option is used

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Sun Dec 16 14:57:34 CET 2007

Hey,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> To me the correct solution would be to set this checkbox according to
> the prefs. But that that would mean that the UI must store the correct
> setting for the flag (0 or 1) and only apply the default if no value is
> set at all.
That is correct, the correct solution to fix this. As for the TYPO3 BE,
I'd like to consolidate all options first so that they are available in
the User => Setup. So the backend is really "clean" of duplicated (or
almost duplicate) options. Then I think about a nice contextual based
options menu that moves in and out as you need it. (with the + / - icons
or something, don't know the details yet, but I could create a mockup if
you'd like) and that change the BE dynamically without reloading the
whole page if possible. Anyway, as you see, this "contextual options"
idea should be a streamlined interface where extensions could hook in
with their own options which is not quite possible right now without
XCLASSing.
Right now I feel like these options at the bottom were added back then
because it was like... "we have an option, let's just add it to the
bottom of the page as it changes the layout of this page") with no real
structure. In 10 years we'd have 40 options down there and the user =>
setup is still kept because of backwards compatibility but never used.

So, don't get me wrong I see the use of this option, but it only works
half of the time and I'd like to replace it (not for 4.2 but for 4.3
which should be released IMHO before 2009) with a good interface later
again.

 > The pref says "by default" and not "always".
ok, let's think of it. If I'd remove "by default" and then we would have
an option in the user setup that is called
"Show thumbnails"
Well, IMHO then it looks like as with every other piece of software. You
go to the settings or options menu and enable a feature / change.

And don't think the "Show clipboard" option will stay down there alone
then ;-). The clipboard is also (over)due for 4.3 and therefore gets a
better usability as well. Then, we'd have no options down there anymore.

Anyway, enough talking. I understand your argument, but I'm tired of
arguing about this nit-picking. Let's keep TYPO3 as it is.

--
greetings,
benni.

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org