[TYPO3-core] RFC: 0006967: File List: "Show Thumbnails" does not take precedence if user-setup option is used

Martin Kutschker martin.kutschker-n0spam at no5pam-blackbox.net
Sun Dec 16 14:43:04 CET 2007

Benjamin Mack schrieb:
> Hey guys,
>
> this is a SVN patch request.
>
> Branches: Trunk only
>
> BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=6967
>
> Problem:
> Right now there is an option called "Show Thumbnails" on the bottom of
> the filelist that says "Show Thumbnails". This feature is:
> + first of all, not directory / page related
> + double in its use, as there is an option in the user=>setup called
> "Show Thumbnails By Default" (uc-"thumbnailsByDefault") which takes
> precedence.
>
> This means: If the user has the option checked in his user settings, the
> option in the file list becomes useless (= it shows the icons all the
> time). And after all, if the option should be there, it should be a
> shortcut of the same option as the user setup and not some extra option
> field.
>
> Solution:
> Therefore I propose to remove the option in the file_list.php because:
> - People think it does not work if they have this option enabled in the
> user => setup already.

To me the correct solution would be to set this checkbox according to
the prefs. But that that would mean that the UI must store the correct
setting for the flag (0 or 1) and only apply the default if no value is
set at all. The pref says "by default" and not "always".

I like to have the pref set to 0 and be able to enable thumbs
occasionally via file>list.

Masi