[TYPO3-core] RFC: 0006967: File List: "Show Thumbnails" does not take precedence if user-setup option is used

Benjamin Mack mack at xnos.org
Sun Dec 16 14:35:01 CET 2007

Hey guys,

this is a SVN patch request.

Branches: Trunk only

BT reference: http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=6967

Problem:
Right now there is an option called "Show Thumbnails" on the bottom of
the filelist that says "Show Thumbnails". This feature is:
+ first of all, not directory / page related
+ double in its use, as there is an option in the user=>setup called
"Show Thumbnails By Default" (uc-"thumbnailsByDefault") which takes
precedence.

This means: If the user has the option checked in his user settings, the
option in the file list becomes useless (= it shows the icons all the
time). And after all, if the option should be there, it should be a
shortcut of the same option as the user setup and not some extra option
field.

Solution:
Therefore I propose to remove the option in the file_list.php because:
- People think it does not work if they have this option enabled in the
user => setup already.
- People are confused having to options that do the same but are stored
in the user profile differently and therefore do not behave as they expect.
- If people want to change the BE interface, they should look in the
user => setup. Therefore this module becomes used more again and again
(I'll take care of the setup module itself later btw...).
- The interface get's cleaner :)

I could agree on turning the User => Setup option on by default. this is
a small switch in "t3lib/class.t3lib_beuserauth.php". What do you think?

--
greetings,
benni.

www.xnos.de // www.xnos.org