[TYPO3-core] 4.1 - How far are we?

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Tue Nov 28 15:53:44 CET 2006

Hi Masi,

Martin Kutschker wrote:
> Ingmar Schlecht schrieb:
>> Hi guys,
>>
>> what about releasing Beta 2 this Friday?
>
> No, folks should be able to test things. If we rush versions out nobody
> has a real chance to do anything with it. IMHO 2 weeks between two betas
> are a minumum, though I prefer the longer period of 4 weeks.

Fine with me, so let's have Beta 2 Friday next week.

>> At some point we have to also think about what's needed for having utf-8
>> by default in 4.1.
>
> I think the no-more-back-and-forth-charset-conversion-patch is
> essential. I'd like to see it in beta2 but cannot finish the patch this
> week (but see above).
>
> But I fail to see the advantage. If I have a single language site in a
> Western Eurooean language, latin1 is faster (patch or) and takes less
> space.

UTF-8 by default just means that those who start creating a new site get
UTF-8 by default. I think that makes sense, because people might want to
add another website language later on requiring a different charset.
With UTF-8 they're on the safe side from the beginning.

If people now what they're doing, they can still decide to go the latin1
way. But those who don't should get UTF-8.

> What I'd love to see is a prominent placing of the charset feature (ie
> forceCharset) in the installer *.

Yes, a prominent placing in the install tool would be good as well.

cheers
Ingmar