[TYPO3-core] 4.1 - How far are we?

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at n0spam-blackbox.net
Mon Nov 27 14:59:12 CET 2006

Ingmar Schlecht schrieb:
> Hi guys,
>
> what about releasing Beta 2 this Friday?

No, folks should be able to test things. If we rush versions out nobody has
a real chance to do anything with it. IMHO 2 weeks between two betas are a
minumum, though I prefer the longer period of 4 weeks.

> There is:
> 1.) a major bug in 4.1beta1 with the inclusion of the indexed_search
> lexer in t3lib_refindex (see http://bugs.typo3.org/view.php?id=4562 and
> also Martin's post earlier today)
>
> 2.) a patch with some new IRRE features Oliver Hader is currently preparing
>
> 3.) Bernhard's EM improvements to be committed
>
> Anything else you wish to get into Beta 2?

My utf8-log patch.

 > At some point we have to also think about what's needed for having utf-8
 > by default in 4.1.

I think the no-more-back-and-forth-charset-conversion-patch is essential.
I'd like to see it in beta2 but cannot finish the patch this week (but see
above).

But I fail to see the advantage. If I have a single language site in a
Western Eurooean language, latin1 is faster (patch or) and takes less space.

What I'd love to see is a prominent placing of the charset feature (ie
forceCharset) in the installer *. After all setting it (or not setting it)
is a one-way-step for non-technical users. Defaulting to utf-8 just shifts
the problem to converting back to something else.

Masi

* I repeat my whish that this should be done in 1-2-3 so the DB/tables can
be created with the correct charset/collation.