[TYPO3-core] 4.1 - How far are we?

Ernesto Baschny [cron IT] ernst at cron-it.de
Tue Nov 28 16:24:44 CET 2006

Ingmar Schlecht wrote: on 28.11.2006 15:53:

>>> At some point we have to also think about what's needed for having utf-8
>>> by default in 4.1.

>> I think the no-more-back-and-forth-charset-conversion-patch is
>> essential. I'd like to see it in beta2 but cannot finish the patch this
>> week (but see above).
>>
>> But I fail to see the advantage. If I have a single language site in a
>> Western Eurooean language, latin1 is faster (patch or) and takes less
>> space.
>
> UTF-8 by default just means that those who start creating a new site get
> UTF-8 by default. I think that makes sense, because people might want to
> add another website language later on requiring a different charset.
> With UTF-8 they're on the safe side from the beginning.
>
> If people now what they're doing, they can still decide to go the latin1
> way. But those who don't should get UTF-8.

+1 from me too. We are installing every new site with forceCharSet set
to utf-8 and it should be what TYPO3 does my default. But this should
somehow respect the "compat_version" setting, so that when someone sets
it to "4.0", the default would be whatever it was before. Is there a way
to differenciate between those?

a) user has upgraded from 4.0 to 4.1 and told the upgrade wizard that he
wants 4.1 features enabled
b) user has made a "clean" install of 4.1

Because upgrading from latin1 to utf-8 is not just a matter of changing
the switch. Maybe a nice "charset conversion" tool in the install tool
could be nice. Those available on TER are horrible and not very user
friendly.

Cheers,
Ernesto