[TYPO3-core] CVS Problems

Andreas Otto ao-lists at php4win.de
Wed May 10 12:26:32 CEST 2006

Hello Dmitry,

On Wednesday 10 May 2006 11:39, Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Private servers are probably better because they will be much less
> loaded than SF's. But we need one to be responsible for them. I am not
> sure how much adminisration it needs. I am running subversion privately
> for my own projects. Since it is private, I did minimal configuration
> with a single user. Subversion guide describes it all very well but I
> cannot pretend to be guru in setting up subversion.

It is not the server load that makes SF.net CVS services unavailable from time
to time. However, they do care about backups. Compared to the amount of
projects they host everything works well.

Offering private servers also means that someone has to cover the costs for
hardware and traffic. IMHO that money is better spent on developing TYPO3.
The hardware setup has to be redundant to minimize the impact of potential
hardware failure.

> + more stable than SF

For how long?
Please take into account for how long SF.net services have been running
already.

> + probably faster than SF
> + no need to synchronize developer repository with anonymous repository

This is a matter of how you setup permissions for the repositories.

> + can integrate issue tracker with versioning system

Should be possible with SF.net as well to integrate it into TRAC when syncing
the local repository with the SF.net repository. Of course this has to be
investigated.

> - needs one person to take care of it

It needs more than one person to take care of it. What if the person
responsible is on holiday or ill.

> - needs server, traffic and disk space

See my statement further above.

> - history should be imported as well
>
> I do not remember the tool that Peter mentioned but it would be nice if

The tool is called TRAC [1] I guess.

[1]:<http://projects.edgewall.com/trac/>

Cheers,
Andreas

--
Seit 13809353 Sekunden.
Since 13809353 seconds.

"Consequences, Schmonsequences, as long as I'm rich."
		-- "Ali Baba Bunny" [1957, Chuck Jones]