[TYPO3-core] CVS Problems

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Wed May 10 11:39:20 CEST 2006

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Whatever you prefer. I also remember discussions about a switch to a private
> server and using some tool Peter recommended (can't remember) which combines
> Subversion and issue tracker. What about this? What is better?

Private servers are probably better because they will be much less
loaded than SF's. But we need one to be responsible for them. I am not
sure how much adminisration it needs. I am running subversion privately
for my own projects. Since it is private, I did minimal configuration
with a single user. Subversion guide describes it all very well but I
cannot pretend to be guru in setting up subversion.

I definitely vote for subversion because it allows to check out a
"snapshot" of the repository for any given file version. I.e. if you
want to get alt_doc.php for version 123, you can get all other files as
they were in the repository when version 123 of alt_doc.php was
commited. This is huge advantage over CVS. Branching is a bit different
in Subversion but it is a matter of habit.

If we decide to switch to Subversion, we should ensure that we organize
repository as recommended in the Subversion guide (i.e. use "trunk",
"branches" and "versions" as described there). It simplifies work a lot.

> I suggest someone who is interested in this explains the pros and contras of
> both solutions so we can make a decision quickly.

+ more stable than SF
+ probably faster than SF
+ no need to synchronize developer repository with anonymous repository
+ can integrate issue tracker with versioning system
- needs one person to take care of it
- needs server, traffic and disk space
- history should be imported as well

I do not remember the tool that Peter mentioned but it would be nice if
we could use not only issue tracker but also some web-based project
management software. It will show us all task that we have to do, all
milestones, etc. We will be able to analyze our original plans, delays,
etc. It makes development cycle more organized and allows better future
planning.

Dmitry.