[TYPO3-core] Bug for Kasper in sys_refindex table

Karsten Dambekalns karsten at typo3.org
Wed Mar 29 15:57:59 CEST 2006

Hi.

On Wednesday 29 March 2006 10:16, Kasper Skårhøj wrote:
> This setting is solely an install tool thing. Another problem is that
> I use varchar(32) for hashes in those tables - which of course does
> not need to scale by this factor.

That scaling isn't needed any longer, as you mention below...

> So maybe we need to make the install tool intelligent so if a field
> is varchar and appears to be a key then it will not be made into a
> text field but set to varchar(255) at most.

Would work.

> (Also, that whole multiplication thingy shouldn't be necessary if
> MySQL is set to run with UTF-8 - yet, again something I have no
> experience with doing/trying.)

Right. If set to UTF-8, MySQL will reserve the correct amount of *bytes* for
the requested number of *chars* in a varchar column. No need to use that
setting at all. Instead of having this setting, TYPO3 should (in docs or
wherever) strongly suggest to run MySQL (or any other database for that
matter) in UTF-8 if that's going to be used.

Karsten
--
Karsten Dambekalns
TYPO3 Association - Active Member