[TYPO3-core] Usage of mb_* functions in the core (especially in rtehtmlarea)

Stanislas Rolland stanislas.rolland at fructifor.ca
Tue Mar 14 17:29:14 CET 2006

Hi Michael,
> I noticed that rtehtmlarea often uses multibyte (mb_*) functions when
> performing string operations.

I may be mistaken, but I think that mb_ functions are used only in the
Spell Checker. This is documented in the requirements section of the manual.
However, I will check if the required functions could now be provided by
t3lib_cs.
> The problem with that is that mb_* functions are not available on all systems,
> therefore t3lib_cs should be used which acts as a wrapper for any charset
> related stuff (which makes it possible to use a alternatives to the mb_*
> functions).
>
> Question: Do we have a rule for their usage? If not, I think this should be
> added to the coding guidelines.

I do not see it in the Coding guidelines. Perhaps it should be added.

Stanislas