[TYPO3-core] The installer, the charset and the DB

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Thu Jun 29 20:06:58 CEST 2006

Michael Stucki <michael at typo3.org> writes on
Thu, 29 Jun 2006 16:47:53 +0200 (METDST):

> Hi Martin,
>
> > I think it is a big problem that the forceCharset is asked at a very
> > late step in the installation.
>
> I think the solution for this is pretty easy:
> Make UTF-8 the default in 4.1 except if compatVersion is set to an
> older version.

I don't think it is up to us to enforce the charset for the DB for our users.

I thought about a charset select-box in the 1-2-3 installer, *before* the creation of the DB (or DB fields).

multiplyDBfieldSize can go away from the installer itself. I'd set it automatically if the installer detects Mysql 3.23.

No need for compatibility flags and conversions and whatnot. Perhaps we force UTF8 in 5.0, but I see no real reason for 4.x.

Masi

PS: I always though it should have been SYS[charset] not BE[forceCharset] :-)