[TYPO3-core] The installer, the charset and the DB

Michael Stucki michael at typo3.org
Thu Jun 29 16:47:53 CEST 2006

Hi Martin,

> I think it is a big problem that the forceCharset is asked at a very late
> step in the installation.

I think the solution for this is pretty easy:
Make UTF-8 the default in 4.1 except if compatVersion is set to an older
version.

I had some discussions about the possibility of this when I met Peter and
Karsten last week. Basically, we can still provide full ISO-8859-1/whatever
charset compatibility, we simply enforce it for future versions (according to
compatVersion).

This requires only a few changes:
- Write a short guide on how to convert latin1 (or whatever) DBs to UTF-8
- Remove multiplyDBfieldSize
- Add a big fat warning if the database doesn't run with UTF-8 support

I will come up with a more detailed proposal at a later time, but for the
moment I think this would solve your problem quite easy...

- michael