[TYPO3-core] The installer, the charset and the DB

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at accio.lv
Fri Jun 30 09:03:04 CEST 2006

Hi!

Michael Stucki wrote:
> Make UTF-8 the default in 4.1 except if compatVersion is set to an older
> version.

+1. The sooner - the better. But we need to take mysql 3.23 into account
because it does not support utf-8. Or just drop 3.23 support.

> This requires only a few changes:
> - Write a short guide on how to convert latin1 (or whatever) DBs to UTF-8

This would be great because conversion is difficult to do :( I tried and
not succeeded - 1 or 2 characters were converted improperly (appeared as
question marks).

> - Remove multiplyDBfieldSize

Do I understand right: it is not needed for mysql 4.x at all?

> - Add a big fat warning if the database doesn't run with UTF-8 support

But to let user switch it off. I still see compatibility warning each
time when I login to BE and *I HATE IT!*

Dmitry.