[TYPO3-core] Fixing no-brainers?

Ingmar Schlecht ingmar at typo3.org
Mon Apr 10 13:55:25 CEST 2006

Martin Kutschker wrote:
>> So let's make a little poll. I suggest you better don't ask here but
>> on the dev list. We need to know if there is an interest for 3.8.2,
>> and we need to find someone who is going to maintain it.
>>
>> Will you organize this, Martin?
>
> Ok. But I think it makes also sense to post it on the standard lists
> as not every site admin reads dev. And mainly it's and admin thingy
> (upgrading that is).
>
> The main question is IMHO who is for some reason stuck with 3.8 but
> is forced to use PHP5 or a problematic Mysql version (the charset
> problem). For those users IMHO we need 3.8.2.

Hey, stop, no poll before we have someone doing it!

I'm perfectly fine committing smaller bugfixes to HEAD *and* 4.0 from
now on, but I think the work required for porting those huuuuuge list of
bugfixes from 4.0 back to 3.8 is far higher than it's worth.

I think as soon as we have fixed 4.0's few major showstoppers in 4.0.1,
people can safely upgrade to the backwards compatible 4.0 so no reason
for a 3.8.2.

Let's start the "better patch level releases" thing from now on, but
*please* don't poll the lists before we have an *external, new* person
who wants to maintain it.

cheers,
Ingmar