[TYPO3-core] RFC: HTMLmail charset

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Sat Oct 29 20:57:34 CEST 2005

Bernhard Kraft <kraftb at kraftb.at> writes on
Mon, 24 Oct 2005 03:35:32 +0200 (METDST):

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> >>Martin Kutschker wrote:
> >>
> >>The method ->setCharset() can get called with the charset to use as
> >>argument from external or derived classes - but those will need to
> >>call ->setContentTypeHeader() to also set the headers.
> >
> > Ok, but I think you should not use $GLOBALS['TSFE']->metaCharset but
> > $GLOBALS['TSFE']->renderCharset for auto-detection auf the FE
> charset.
>
> I choose ->metaCharset because of the following reason:
> renderCharset is just the charset in which T3 generates the HTML
> pages. But metaCharset is the one as
> which the browser handles the page as it is sent in the META tag and
> also in the sent HTTP headers.
>
> So if you have a form and input values the browser will use the
> metaCharset

I forgot this to mention. TYPO3 does a POST-var conversion from metaCharset to renderCharset. So it's not a problem.

But I'm still undecided what it is the better default for mails. Using renderCharset is easier to handle as IMHO no extra charset conversions are needed. metaCharset is perhaps what the users expects, but this raises the issue of conversion from renderCharset to metaCharset. For simplicissity I'd choose renderCharset.

Masi