[TYPO3-core] Re(2): RFC: HTMLmail charset

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Wed Oct 26 10:24:24 CEST 2005

Bernhard Kraft <kraftb at kraftb.at> writes on
Wed, 26 Oct 2005 02:07:02 +0200 (METDST):

> Martin Kutschker wrote:
>
> > I see. This makes sense.
> >
> > But be aware that all internal functions of TYPO3 work with
> > renderCharset. The whole generated contents is converted right
> > before sending to the client.
> >
> > I'm not sure if this is really a problem with mails. But it could
> > lead to surprises, if you generate mail content in renderCharset
> > (implicitly with TYPO3 functions) but tag the mail with metaCharset.
>
> If you have meta charset different than renderCharset you will have a
> problem at all ...
>
> Just garbage. Think of utf-8 code (renderCharset) with metaCharset
> (how browser interprets it) as 8859-1.

Didn't you read my post? TYPO3 (I think it's in pagegen) will do a conversion from renderCharset to metaCharset after all the output has been generated. No mess at all.

Anyway, you are right after all. For tagging the mail you can use the metaCharset. But just like pagegen you have to be aware that all internal TYPO3 rendering functions use renderCharset.

Which is a problem because you must convert contents in renderCharset to the metaCharset BEFORE you do the transport encoding (base64 or quoted-printable). But I fear that the current architecture of htmlmail simply does not support such fancy stuff ;-)

Masi