[TYPO3-core] RFC: XHTML compliance of GMENUwith onmouseoverimages(#874)

Martin Kutschker Martin.Kutschker at blackbox.net
Sun Nov 13 20:26:37 CET 2005

Peter Niederlag <niederlag at ikd01.de> writes on
Sun, 13 Nov 2005 14:59:57 +0100 (MET):

> Generally I agree but still I'd like to get an overview of
> getElementById-Support in Browsers. If it is only NS3 lacking support
> of
> it (which I am aware of) I don't think it needs any special care,
> espacially in the TYPO3-BE (which I am pretty sure will not work in
> NS3).

We have no suport for old browsers in BE. This is fine and no problem. but at least I, as I have said befoe,like code that at least fails silently. So for me JS in the FE has to be defensive.

> DOM-Scripting is afaik some kind of standard,

Harharhar. Ok things have improved since the bad old days. But working around JS-bugs used to be part of the job.

Anyway, the so called DOM 0 is a de-facto standard (ie a collectoin of stuff supported by all current browsers). The W3C DOM is a standard, but has the problem that is is AFAIK by no existing browser compeletly implement. Granted, there are things you can rely on, and for newer browsers I count getElementById to it.

Masi