[TYPO3-mvc] Fluid performance patch backport to 4.5?!

Christian Kuhn lolli at schwarzbu.ch
Tue Mar 6 18:17:04 CET 2012

Hey,

On 02/12/2012 11:42 AM, Christian Kuhn wrote:
> Next to cool new features in 4.6 and 4.7, there was one patch to
> 4.6-extbase that makes the 4.6 package important and can be a major
> blocker for usage of 4.5. The fluid performance patch in 4.6 [2] is a
> major performance boost for fluid.
>
> Imho it is very worth backporting this single piece to 4.5: Performance
> improvements are officially allowed backports for LTS. Sebastian
> mentions a single not backwards-compatible change, I think we should
> take a closer look to this and see if we can apply the whole performance
> patch to 4.5 LTS.
>
> I'll spend some time on this within the next days and hope to come up
> with a realistic statement on whether or not this backport is do-able.

Status update:

I've now spent the better part of a day on back porting the thing to
4.5. In short: I think chances are low to get this merged in LTS.

We had a partly working application again after some hours of work, and
were able to measure a performance improvement, but:

- The patch is _big_ (the main patch adds 2,5k lines and removes 1,5k)
and it needs several other before and after patches in fluid, partially
in extbase, too
- It has a nasty breaking change (this->argument() is not an object
anymore in view helpers) that is hard to get rid off.
- The patch is highly intrusive: It changes interfaces, removes files,
shifts lots of code around. Extensions that extend extbase / fluid core
parts will likely break.
- It only works best together with other core patches, especially in the
caching framework part, we also do not want to back port them.

So: We will stop working on this now. It would be great if someone tries
to catch up at this point, but one should expect hard work and a pretty
hard fight to get this well tested into 4.5 core. If someone wants to
finish what i was not able to do, please contact me for the current "patch".

Regards
Christian