[TYPO3-templavoila] TemplaVoila in 4.4

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Jul 29 16:10:33 CEST 2010

Hi,

Ron Hall wrote:
> So far unlink has used the broken chain. I can understand how that
> may have some cultural issues but I have yet to see a better one.
> Even when a language does not have the equivalent of "unlink" as in
> links in a chain the broken chain still indicates a severed
> connection. But perhaps there is something better.

Honestly, the first time in my life I saw that icon it looked to me like
two magnets (especially the radial lines hinted some force taking place
between the two parts).

For native English speakers it's sometimes hard to see problems with
icons. For example the folder with a zipper isn't easy to associate with
a compressed archive in other languages. In Dutch a 'zipper' is called
'rits'. Luckily some icon designer decided to use an archive cabinet
(drawers to store stuff in) with a clamp which can be tightened.

The other way around: 'paste' is 'plakken' in Dutch; which als means 'to
glue'. So a Dutch icon designer might use an image of sticky tape or
another type of glue. Would you understand this?

I agree that it's hard to find good icons. Therefore I already suggested
to ask someone from the design/UX team to have a look at it.
Also the terminology should be looked at: unlink, non-used elements,
create reference, paste element; not very consistent.

The above is not meant as negative critique; often knowing the "problem"
can often spark an idea to find a great solution.

Suggestion: maybe a page icon with an element highlighted and an
(curved?) arrow to indicate that it is removed from the page?
(Quick and dirty version attached)

--
Jigal van Hemert
skype:jigal.van.hemert