[TYPO3-templavoila] FCE loses translations after "Create local copy"

Ian Solo ian at webian.it
Fri Feb 27 11:52:01 CET 2009

Hi Steffen

Steffen Kamper wrote:
>>> Please reread the doc here [1] to be sure using the right concept (i
>>> know language settings are very complex)
>>>
>>> vg Steffen
>>>
>>> [1]
>>> http://typo3.org/documentation/document-library/core-documentation/doc_l10nguide/1.0.0/view/1/3/#id3988857
>>

>> if you mean the section "Localized TemplaVoila Template Objects"
>> maybe I still did not explain well what this issue is about.
>>
>> The section "Localized TemplaVoila Template Objects" talks about how
>> to create a different Template Object for different languages. So
>> it's something related to the presentation of the data in the frontend.
>
> in the document the different paradigms are explained, so posting this
> link was addressed to all people reading this, may be finding this
> post via google when they struggle with localization.

That's right, but the link points to the specific section "Localized
TemplaVoila Template Objects" that is not directly related to this
issue. That's why I did wonder. :)
>> Instead, my issue is related to the management of the data in the
>> backend.
>>
>> Please, can you be so kind to try this step by step in one of your
>> backend?
>> 1. With "TV page module" selected click on a page with at least 1
>> translation
>> 2. Create new element of type "Regular text element", write something
>> into it and save without closing it.
>> 3. In the dropdown "Language" menu, select a [NEW] language.
>> 4. Save and close document.
>> 5. Click on the button "Create reference" of this just created element
>> 6. In the page three, click on a different page. This page must have
>> set the same translations of the previous page.
>> 7. Click on "Paste element". Now you have a reference to the previous
>> created content element with its translation.
>> 8. Click on "Create local copy" and confirm.
>>
>> Now, in all my installations I end with a copy of the previous
>> created content element but NOT of its translations.
>>
>> Does it happen to you too?
>>
>> Thank you. Regards.
>> Ian
>
> i understand what you mean. What i see is that it's not TV-related but
> core related.
> It seems normal to me that, if you copy an element, it's always
> handled as single record. As you described, the translation is in a
> new record, so i think you have to copy the translations each manually
> too.
>
> It's quite difficult to implement such KI - copy single record/copy
> single record + all translations/copy single record + versionized
> records/ a.s.o.
>
> Do you agree?
I agree!
But the data to achieve this "Create local copy" keeping the
localizations of the record are stored in the database when you "Create
reference" of the record.
So, please correct me if I'm wrong, it is not something impossible to
do. I can't say by myself how much difficult it is to implement cause
I'm just a freelance web designer, not a good programmer, and I never
had the pleasure to debug or take a look inside the code of this great
extension. But, indeed, I trust you.

Now I know that this is a normal behavior and I think about this issue
as a missing (core or TV) feature. A very useful feature IMHO, cause it
will give much more power to the reference feature of TV.

Thanks for your attention.
Regards,
ian