[TYPO3-templavoila] Localization Guide

Kasper Skårhøj kasper2006 at typo3.com
Wed Mar 29 17:14:46 CEST 2006

> What I'm missing from a editors point of view:
> - it should be possible to create a localization for
>    shortcut-pages as they need translated titles for menus etc.
>    Currently this feature is disabled in TV pagemodule and can only be
>    done in list view as it seems.

Please add as feature request on bugtracker (for TV)

> - a 'show content in this language only' mode would be nice
>    for 'master-editors' and admins. Not translated CEs from
>    default-language could be displayed in a condensed mode - maybe
> also
>    optional applied with a checkbox

Done.

> - it'll be nice if the "hide" field would be selectable when editing
>    the page-propierties on clicking the language-flages in TV.
>    Or isn't this allready configurable somewhere? I can't remember.

Done

> - the selector-box "show page language version" is missleading as it
>    is creating a new data-structure. Maybe a lable like
>    "create independet page localization" or something like that
> would be
>    more clearly.

Stays for now, has different meanings depending on paradigm.

> - as the 'new' way for localization also allows to create a independet
>    DS for a language, it'll be nice if the inheritance of CE-fields
>    (the merging-function) would also work the way I tried to use
> it, so
>    that directly fetched translated CEs can also inherit (like in my
>    wrong bug-report). I think this would be a nice feature and provide
>    more flexibility for inheritance. In this way a localized CE could
>    also act as source for merging.

I'm a little unsure if I want to support it. It is possible to
implement and thus could bring some additional value to the "Free"
paradigm (this is what we finally labeled the way you did
localization). On the other hand it would be an act that encourages
the "Free" paradigm which I don't want for new sites.

What you can do is to add a status note on the bugtracker so it stays
there as a feature request for the future. Ideally you create a new
entry and shut down the old.

It could sound like: "
Implementing "reverse" language overlay inside
t3lib_page::getRecordOverlay() so that localized records passed
directly to the function will look for their default language
original and overlay themselves on top of that if found.
"

> - if there is a localized pageDS with content, it doesn't make
> sense to
>    display allready localized versions of a CE in the default
> language,
>    does it? Then it should also be restricted to create a localization
>    for a CE in the language in which the independent pageDS does
> exist as
>    it would be confusing if a record get's translated but is not
> showing
>    up in FE.
>    Alternatively the translated CE keeps showing in default
> language, but
>    get's inserted in the pageDS of the foreign language? But this
> might
>    be even more confusing to ediors

The latter suggestion here is how the TV module now works (as before)
when you configure it with this Page TSconfig:

mod.web_txtemplavoilaM1.translationParadigm = free

I think the confusion will never go away in this case. Therefore
rather use the "Bound" (default) paradigm in the future since that
will not lead to such duplicy.

At least for now, we have chosen to show it as before when
"mod.web_txtemplavoilaM1.translationParadigm = free" is set.

> - in the current version I'm missing the checkbox to enable/disable
> the
>    localization view in the default language. Currently it is
> permanently
>    enabled

Yes, we decided that you never needed not to have it. When a
"Alternative Page Language" record exists you will see localization
related options. Why shut it down ever?

- kasper

> --
> Kind regards,
> Franz Koch
> templavoila

- kasper

"A contribution a day keeps the fork away"