[TYPO3-templavoila] Localization Guide

Franz Koch typo3 at fx-graefix.de
Wed Mar 29 20:16:49 CEST 2006

>> What I'm missing from a editors point of view:
>> - it should be possible to create a localization for
>>    shortcut-pages as they need translated titles for menus etc.
>>    Currently this feature is disabled in TV pagemodule and can only be
>>    done in list view as it seems.
>

> Please add as feature request on bugtracker (for TV)

A similar bug with shorcut pages has been added today (or so). I just
added a comment with this related issue.

>> - a 'show content in this language only' mode would be nice
>>    for 'master-editors' and admins. Not translated CEs from
>>    default-language could be displayed in a condensed mode - maybe  also
>>    optional applied with a checkbox
>

> Done.

Uuuuh, very nice - thanks. I just found myself switching the languages
all the time and had a big grin on my face :)

>> - it'll be nice if the "hide" field would be selectable when editing
>>    the page-propierties on clicking the language-flages in TV.
>>    Or isn't this allready configurable somewhere? I can't remember.
>>

> Done

Doesn't work for me as there where no changes in the source in that case
(just checked it). I'm not talking of the visible fields when creating
an new alternative_page_language, but when editing the
alternative_page_language [1] from within the page-module (clicking on
the flag):
[1] http://www.elements-net.de/bilder/temp/tv_syslang_edit.gif
[2] http://www.elements-net.de/bilder/temp/tv_syslang_edit_view.gif

See also my post in Roberts thread 'TemplaVoila 1.0 - feature freeze'
from 03-28-2006.

>> - the selector-box "show page language version" is missleading as it
>>    is creating a new data-structure. Maybe a lable like
>>    "create independet page localization" or something like that  would be
>>    more clearly.
>>

> Stays for now, has different meanings depending on paradigm.

Now that the second dropdown box ('show language only...') is
implemented I think this is ok.

> What you can do is to add a status note on the bugtracker so it stays
> there as a feature request for the future. Ideally you create a new
> entry and shut down the old.
>
> It could sound like: "
> Implementing "reverse" language overlay inside
> t3lib_page::getRecordOverlay() so that localized records passed
> directly to the function will look for their default language  original
> and overlay themselves on top of that if found.
> "

OK, I'll do in time, but now that I'm more and more using the "bound"
paradigm it looks really got to me.

>> - in the current version I'm missing the checkbox to enable/disable  the
>>    localization view in the default language. Currently it is
>> permanently
>>    enabled
>>

> Yes, we decided that you never needed not to have it. When a
> "Alternative Page Language" record exists you will see localization
> related options. Why shut it down ever?

Well, it's a nice feature for a master editor to get a "clean" default
language view as it is really a mess on content rich pages in "bound"
paradigm. Optionally you could simply apply the second dropdown
('Display mode:' -> 'Selected language') to also limit for the default
language - so it would be the same 'workflow'.
Maybe a third option 'Only NOT localized elements' (see this as a 'todo'
filter) would make sense?

--
Kind regards,
Franz Koch