[TYPO3-templavoila] TV fields not showing up

wes currier typo3 at wesfx.com
Mon Mar 6 03:35:57 CET 2006

Dmitry,

Dmitry Dulepov wrote:
> Hi!
>
> wes currier wrote:
>
>>So can I not place two CO's together?
>

> You can have a number of "ce" (content elements) fields in the DS/TO.
> But (1) they cannot be nested and (2) number of them should be
> reasonable, otherwise it will be hard to manage.
>

>>Well I asked on the thread before this one what are the best practices
>>and got no response.
>

> I read that thread but TemplaVoila is too young to have best practices I
> think.

Well one thing would be:
One cannot place a Container Element [CO] within another Container
Element [CO].

>>I wanted to know if I should map everything when creating the DS and
>>then create another TO with just the items I need. I plan on using this
>> one HTML for all my pages and altering the css to create the format I
>>need.
>

> Here is what I usually do:
> - create one or two "ce" fields on a page
> - use TS objects for things like login forms, news, menu, contact and
> about links
> - if there are complex structures but they do not appear on each page,
> make FCE
> - if necessary make different templates for different pages (first and
> others, for example)

This is very helpful. More of thois type information would help those
new to TV.

>>I will use FCE's to add news to the sub area for example.
>>Or, for example, should I map the header and leave the branding and
>>search div's to content elements or FCE's?
>

> If you are going to use news plugins, I suggest adding it through TS
> object field. You know it will be always there, so you do not need to
> insert it as content element in page module. TS object path is better.
>

>>Some sites will have main and local menus in the nav_main while others
>>will have it divided between the two nav div's. The "main" is the
>>content area and will use FCE's for different looks.
>

> You can (re)define TS objects on each page in TS setup. This will change
> menu as you need. Just make two menu areas in DS. Depending on visual
> representation of menus you may use either one template or two templates
> for different parts of the site. One template can have only one menu
> field mapped, another can map both.
>

>>Basically I have:
>>
>>Root            [co]
>> page             [co]
>>   +--header       [el]
>

> Probably could be TS object (if it is the same as page title).
>

>>    branding   [el]
>

> Is it the same text for all pages? Than you do not have to map it all,
> keep it in template file.

My understanding is that one can place a content element on a specific
page and call that element on multiple pages or on all pages. The
ability of having it this way is that an editor can then edit the
content element without having to alter the template or TS and have that
content propigate through the site. This will reside on a page named
"boilerplate" that is accessed from a front end login.

Therefore, should a company need to change or add a telephone number, an
editor with only FE access may make the alteration on the boilerplate
page and all areas are updated.

>>    search     [el]
>

> TS object will work perfectly. You will not have to insert search
> element on all pages. This will save you a lot of database space and
> allow easy modification or even change of search plugin.
>

>>   +--content     [co]
>>    main       [el]
>

> I assume it is where main content is located. So, this is "ce" field.
>

>>    sub        [el]
>

> Not sure what it is.

Sub = Sub content. Where the news, calendar, advertisements, google ads
would go typically.

>>    nav_local  [el]
>

> Menu, so TS object.
>
>>    nav_main   [el]
>

> Menu, so TS object.
>

>>   +--footer      [el]
>

> If static text, leave it in template file.

Boilerplate content.

>> extra 1        [el]
>> extra 2        [el]
>> valid          [el]
>

> What are these?

These were extra div's in my template that could be removed