[TYPO3-templavoila] TV fields not showing up

Dmitry Dulepov typo3 at fm-world.ru
Sun Mar 5 09:05:22 CET 2006

Hi!

wes currier wrote:
> So can I not place two CO's together?

You can have a number of "ce" (content elements) fields in the DS/TO.
But (1) they cannot be nested and (2) number of them should be
reasonable, otherwise it will be hard to manage.

> Well I asked on the thread before this one what are the best practices
> and got no response.

I read that thread but TemplaVoila is too young to have best practices I
think.

> I wanted to know if I should map everything when creating the DS and
> then create another TO with just the items I need. I plan on using this
>  one HTML for all my pages and altering the css to create the format I
> need.

Here is what I usually do:
- create one or two "ce" fields on a page
- use TS objects for things like login forms, news, menu, contact and
about links
- if there are complex structures but they do not appear on each page,
make FCE
- if necessary make different templates for different pages (first and
others, for example)

> I will use FCE's to add news to the sub area for example.
> Or, for example, should I map the header and leave the branding and
> search div's to content elements or FCE's?

If you are going to use news plugins, I suggest adding it through TS
object field. You know it will be always there, so you do not need to
insert it as content element in page module. TS object path is better.

> Some sites will have main and local menus in the nav_main while others
> will have it divided between the two nav div's. The "main" is the
> content area and will use FCE's for different looks.

You can (re)define TS objects on each page in TS setup. This will change
menu as you need. Just make two menu areas in DS. Depending on visual
representation of menus you may use either one template or two templates
for different parts of the site. One template can have only one menu
field mapped, another can map both.

> Basically I have:
>
> Root            [co]
>  page             [co]
>    +--header       [el]

Probably could be TS object (if it is the same as page title).

>     branding   [el]

Is it the same text for all pages? Than you do not have to map it all,
keep it in template file.

>     search     [el]

TS object will work perfectly. You will not have to insert search
element on all pages. This will save you a lot of database space and
allow easy modification or even change of search plugin.

>    +--content     [co]
>     main       [el]

I assume it is where main content is located. So, this is "ce" field.

>     sub        [el]

Not sure what it is.

>     nav_local  [el]

Menu, so TS object.
>     nav_main   [el]

Menu, so TS object.

>    +--footer      [el]

If static text, leave it in template file.

>  extra 1        [el]
>  extra 2        [el]
>  valid          [el]

What are these?