[TYPO3-templavoila] Using conditional comments in TV

Jan Wulff messages at janwulff.de
Wed Jun 7 12:35:33 CEST 2006

Hi,
>>> I guess Dimitry is talking about fixing the various 'haslayout' bugs in
>>> IE using valid but theoretically irrelevant or incorrect css
>>> However, I prefer to use conditional comments because they make
>>> stylesheet maintenance far simpler.
>> Thanks for writing this, but I know all of these tricks. I was asking
>> Dmitry for a way to solve this bugs without hacks, because he said he would
>> do it without. All solutions you were listing are hacks (the same hacks I'm
>> using), some of them harmless, but they are hacks.
> Well, I wouldn't call valid css a 'hack', even if it's excess. *shrug*
Ok, it's a different definition. Lets exclude the "!important" feature
here, I agree that it isn't a hack and it won't work to seperate IE7
anyway. But e.g. the "display:inline;" trick is not correct css, because a
floating element does become a block element. In fact all browsers I know
do ignore the "display:inline;" property if a float is set, but it is a
contradictory command.

>>> In any case, the workaround for your problem that works /now/ (and
>>> which, I imagine you figured out a long time ago) is just to do all css
>>> calls using TS.
>> Yes, but that prevents the effective use of different TV page templates.
> Can you explain how? I've never had the least difficulty in this respect
> with TV. A class or id attribute on the body element for a given
> template--easy to do in the TV gui--allows plenty of latitude for
> variations (and is unaffected by the issue with the T3 html parser and
> conditional comments).
As you can imagine, the important feature is to allow my editors to change
their page templates for new and existing pages and their subpages
themself.

Using a class or id attribute on the body to allow different stylesheets
for different TV templates is a good idea, but I sometimes do have more
than ten different page templates. That would result in a giant stylesheet,
hard to maintain. Moreover the stylesheets transferred to the browser would
be many times the size, they have to be and the browsers have to work
through all this code. But it's a possible solution, yes.

Unless you need to set different properties for the html element itself. ;)

Best Regards
Jan