[TYPO3-templavoila] Usability problem selecting templates

Tapio Markula tapio.markula at atwebteam.com
Thu Dec 7 14:13:13 CET 2006

Benjamin Mack kirjoitti:
> Hey Tapio,
>
> actually, you're right on that! I find it very inconvenient to select
> the different DS / TOs. Apart from that it is very hard to explain to
> the editors the difference between a DS and a TO (on a simple page, they
> are called almost the same and there is only one DS).
>
> If we could do some more AJAX action in there, it would help a lot -
> instead right now, you're asked to reload the whole page.
> Another problem is that if you don't select a DS (or it's called
> "Template Structure"), the field for the TO ("Template Design") is not
> shown, then after the reload the new field is shown. First I felt
> like... "Mmmh, this is still the Subpages stuff" but then I figured that
> there is something added.
>
> If we could recode the whole selection it would help a lot, IMHO we
> should especially distinguish it better from the "Subpages" selection.

There are similar problems with the content type 'Flexible content'.
At least that should be much easier to use and that should be very user
friendly.

For simple editors selecting different content types is much easier than
  changing templates of the entire page. That's why the priority should
create easy-to-use way to define Flexible content. That could do even
with extra plugin. I hope somebody would have skills to do that.

Easy way to select content element templates
are
* fdfx_2cols
* fdfx_3cols
* th_specialelements
* kb_nescefe (only for the classic page module - much more user friendly
as 'Flexible content' for TemplaVoila).

I'm satisfied, if Flexibe content would be as easy to use as some of them.