[TYPO3-extbase-kickstarter] Best practice to set storagePid in "tutorial mode"?

Bastian Waidelich bastian at typo3.org
Mon Jul 25 19:36:06 CEST 2011

Nicolas de Haen wrote:

Hi Nico,

> I want to introduce a "tutorial mode" (the opposite of the existing
> "advanced mode") to make it easier for extbase newbies to get started.
>
> One issue that is almost always forgotten is to configure the storage pid.

Yeah, that's a major usability problem of TYPO3 in general IMO. But it's
still "best practice" and I would definitely keep support for this so
that kickstarted extensions can be used in a multi site setup without
adjustments to the code.

For the options you suggested, I prefer the current solution ("Please
include the static template ..."). Maybe the note could be extended by a
link that points to a website with more infos (like we use to do it for
FLOW3 exceptions [1]).

But the root of the problem is, that people forget to include the static
TS setup when installing the extension, so I'd suggest to hook in there.
One possibility would be to generate a ext_conf_template.txt file that
allows the user to include the TS right away.

And as this conf_template supports options of type "user" (see [2] for
example) it should not be a problem to provide some interactive
interface here. E.g. "Select one or more of the following root pages in
order to include the static TS ...".

Such user func could be provided by Extbase.

What do you think?
Best,
Bastian

[1] http://wiki.typo3.org/Category:Topic5/Exception