[TYPO3-extbase-kickstarter] Best practice to set storagePid in "tutorial mode"?

Steffen Müller typo3 at t3node.com
Tue Jul 26 14:01:50 CEST 2011

Hi.

On 25.07.2011 09:07 Nicolas de Haen wrote:

> since the extension builder is just a very small step from being
> released into TER I would like to discuss this issue:
>
> I want to introduce a "tutorial mode" (the opposite of the existing
> "advanced mode") to make it easier for extbase newbies to get started.

Is this mode targeted for the TER release milestone?

> One issue that is almost always forgotten is to configure the storage pid.
>
> I see 3 possibilities to help here:
>
> 1. Display a message in frontend:
> "Please include the static template and set the storage pid in the
> constant editor" (Current solution)

+1 and as Beastian mentioned, add a link to a descriptive website.
Since it is a tutorial mode, we could also add a hint with solution 2:

"Please include the static template and set the storage pid in the
constant editor - or - select the recordStorage page in the plugins
"Behaviour" tab".

> 3. provide a working configuration "out-of-the-box" for the tutorial
> mode by writing:
>
> plugin.tx_extkey.persistence.storagePid.cObject = TEXT
> plugin.tx_extkey.persistence.storagePid.cObject.field = pid
>
> into ext_typoscript_setup.txt

Personally I don't like ext_typoscript_setup.txt
There's no way to remove it and to control the order when it gets
parsed. Adding it to the extension would motivate people to use it.

--
cheers,
Steffen

TYPO3 Blog: http://www.t3node.com/