[TYPO3-doc] Documentation license

Philipp Gampe philipp.gampe at typo3.org
Tue Jul 24 15:09:08 CEST 2012

Hi François ,

François Suter wrote:

>> Regarding the documentation i would favor a license that is a close and
>> free as the GPL. Which means commercial usage in broader means.
>
> Then that could be the GNU Free Documentation License.

I would need to look into this. I do not know this license much.

>> The proposed CC BY-NC license creates in my opinion more confusion than
>> help. See the problems with the CC BY-NC license of the intro-package.
>>
>> I personally think CC BY or CC BY-SA would suit best.
>
> Well, if you drop the NC, you get away from GPL.

Why that? GPL allows commercial use too.

I prefer the CC BY SA.

A documentation CLA might be a good think too, because it simplifies legal
step in case of issues and allows changing the license later on.

We would need to investigate if the news license is compatible with the old
one. As most contributors are still active, I think we can risk on changing
the license anyway, but it would be better if there es a clear legal
conformation too.

Best regards
Documentation – linkvalidator
TYPO3 .... inspiring people to share!