[TYPO3-doc] Documentation license

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Tue Jul 24 09:39:01 CEST 2012

Hi Olivier,

On 23.07.2012, at 23:01, Olivier Dobberkau <olivier.dobberkau at dkd.de> wrote:

> I have to give this in consideration. Quoting the T3A Bylaws and thus
> all projects funded by the TYPO3 association:
>
> "The TYPO3 Association promotes the project of the free software TYPO3
> under the GNU GPL (GNU Public Licence)."

This is a big mistake and I wonder how it slipped in again. We've discussed
this earlier and came to the conclusion that mentioning a specific license
in the bylaws is too restrictive.

FLOW3 is, for example, licensed under the LGPL.

I suggest that the board (CCed) discusses this topic in one of their next meetings.

> Regarding the documentation i would favor a license that is a close and
> free as the GPL. Which means commercial usage in broader means.
>
> The proposed CC BY-NC license creates in my opinion more confusion than
> help. See the problems with the CC BY-NC license of the intro-package.
>
> I personally think CC BY or CC BY-SA would suit best.

I'm not sure. As an author, I wouldn't like it if someone just took my scripts and
published it as a book without my consent. On the other hand that might be
quite theoretical and thus CC BY-SA would suffice.

> As i am no lawyer I would suggest that you speak to one of the EAB
> members in charge for the documentation budget if you really want to
> re-lisence the allready published documents.

It's fairly easy (or not): we need the written approval of all contributors, then
we can change the license. No lawyers needed, in my opinion.

Robert

--
Robert Lemke
Lead Developer TYPO3 Phoenix and FLOW3