[TYPO3-doc] Documentation license

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Tue Jul 24 09:07:04 CEST 2012

Hi,

> I have to give this in consideration. Quoting the T3A Bylaws and thus
> all projects funded by the TYPO3 association:
>
> "The TYPO3 Association promotes the project of the free software TYPO3
> under the GNU GPL (GNU Public Licence)."

Interesting, didn't know that.

> Regarding the documentation i would favor a license that is a close and
> free as the GPL. Which means commercial usage in broader means.

Then that could be the GNU Free Documentation License.

> The proposed CC BY-NC license creates in my opinion more confusion than
> help. See the problems with the CC BY-NC license of the intro-package.
>
> I personally think CC BY or CC BY-SA would suit best.

Well, if you drop the NC, you get away from GPL.

> As i am no lawyer I would suggest that you speak to one of the EAB
> members in charge for the documentation budget if you really want to
> re-lisence the allready published documents.

You're right, I'll get in touch with the Association and see if they can
provide a legal point of view on this.

> On the other half: Why is there a need to change the Open Content
> License on the documents? What makes you think that license does need to
> evolve? What is the idea behind a new license? What do you want to
> create with a new license? What do you want to share, preserve, keep-out?

You're right that a license doesn't really need to evolve. My main
motivation is rather to use a license that is still actively supported
and may evolve if needs be, to cover new legal situations for example.
It doesn't seem to me that the OCL is still actively "maintained", but I
may be wrong. My feeling is also that something better known like the CC
license may be easier to refer to and understand by people who want to
contribute or reuse our documentation.