[TYPO3-doc] Status of the Template Building Tutorial

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Sun Dec 2 21:48:04 CET 2012

Hi Christian,

Sorry for answering so belatedly. Release week was a busy week and then
I took a couple of days off.

> So, the tutorial was tested by two probands (TYPO3-Newbies, familiar
> with computers, English and HTML and with a clear demand for a web
> content management system like TYPO3).

The requisites are somewhat higher than this: IMO the tutorial is aimed
at people who have already installed TYPO3 and toyed with the BE and now
want to create their own templates.

I haven't checked the text, but what the templating tutorial should make
clear is that people should have a working TYPO3 installation, be it the
Introduction Package or something else. In case of trouble with that,
they should be pointed to the Installation Guide. Then they should have
gone through the Getting Started tutorial.

IMO they should also have read the TypoScript in 45 minutes tutorial, as
it is meant as an introduction to TS and the role it plays in building a
TYPO3 web site.

> They were able to create pages and the TS-template. Both said that
> there is too much information before the tasks. This could be placed
> in a separate section. Mostly the text and the images are clear and
> understandable but sometimes there is a translation problem (German
> English). The text should be cut in smaller topics with a strict
> structure (topic name, aim, tasks, result). E.g.:
>
> - Topic name: Creating a simple navigation. - Aim: Create a simple
> navigation - Task: Click on Button template - Result: Now you see a
> simple navigation

OK, that's possible. I haven't read the tutorial myself, but it's true
that a tutorial should ideally be structured in such elements.

> During modifying the HTML-file an editor is needed. One proband
> criticized that this information must be shown before the task (e.g.
> preparation). In combination with the introduction package we
> suggested to install, the new HTML-template of course does not work.
> We do not show how to active the new template.

Indeed such information should be provided.

> Our questions to you: - What is the desired audience (beginners or
> intermediates)?

Answered above. Does my answer make sense to you?

> - What kind of additional value we expected from the
> introduction package?

I'm not sure what you mean exactly. Are you asking what is the added
value of the Introduction Package (in general or for performing this
tutorial)? Or the reverse (what is the added value of the tutorial
compared to the Introduction Package)?

> - Which information must be added in the
> section „Preparation“ (editor, cross reference to other tutorials,

Definitely the tutorials and guides I mentioned above.