[TYPO3-caretaker] Selenium was: Re: Welcome

Georg Kuehnberger georg at georg.org
Tue Feb 9 21:23:26 CET 2010

Hey Thomas,

Thomas Hempel wrote:
> the whole system much more fragile. And I think be both think that a
> testsystem should be rock solid. ;-)

ACK;

> What COULD be done on the other hand is, that as soon as the selenium
> stuff is ready (I don't have an overview in this department), that the
> selenium stuff is extended.
> Maybe introduce some record type called "selenium config" which contains
> a snippet of selenium configuration. In the test record therefore you
> collect those "selenium config records" to a selenium "workflow". In the
> simplest case, the implementation side will only merge those snippets
> into one text and sends that to the selenium clients.

Right, that's what I'm aiming for.

> But I would like to safe that for later.

Guess you dont mind if we'd work on such an implementation meanwhile (as
another caretaker-extension). I feel it should not be too complicated,
however until now I neighter have written down an implementation-plan,
nor a single line of code. - Was just interesting on your feedback.

> And honestly I'm not that much
> into all the selenium stuff so maybe I'm totally on the wrong path with
> this idea. ;-)

Given the ever increasing ammount of Javascript in the FE/BE (think
ajax, dom-manipilation...), which is hardly to be covered by unit-tests
and almost impossible to cover bei static-testtools like jmeter,
I feel the ever increasing need of real-world-browser-tests. Thus my
focus on Selenium.

> Best wishes, Thomas
Thanks for you input.
Last one for today: Whoever thought that Selenium-Server Installation /
Config is a pain, might be delighted by checking out SouceLabs >>
"OnPremise" is what I'm referring to. It's nothing more than a nicely
packaged Selenium-Server Service, but it's worth it:
see: http://saucelabs.com/products/downloads

regards georg