[TYPO3-caretaker] RFC: caretaker_instance mass installation

Christoph Moeller moeller at network-publishing.de
Thu Aug 26 15:54:53 CEST 2010

Hi Martin,

Martin Ficzel schrieb:
>> The list of missing instances is then saved in
>> tx_caretaker_lasttestresult and could be used from within a new
>> extension that creates the missing records.
>>
>> Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think that might work well.
>
> Quite exatly what i meant in the parallel post :-).

Yes, and it works out great, so far. We installed and imported the first
hundred or so instances in short time now and we are happy! Off to the
next batch of love-hungry TYPO3 sites :-)

The tricky part is that we of course need the remote site
domain/hostname and the remotely generated pubkey, so we need to
transfer that info from the remote system to the local caretaker master.
Therefore, this first mass-import was done outside of TYPO3 for now
using a little script that reads a CSV file (including hostname, pubkey,
some meta data), mocks up the missing stuff (tests, instance group ==
"Newly imported", etc.) and imports it in a rush.

> I'm not shure weather tx_caretaker_lasttestresult is the best way since
> i'm still thinking about how we could store the test plain data in a
> more convenient way for the developers. What we have now is more or less
> intended to add some data to the result messages and will stay so you
> can use it.

Hm, we'll think about that here, as well, since we'd like to have *all*
monitoring data nicely integrated, with some more "green bar feeling" -
with caretaker collecting the TYPO3-specific data, nagios doing the
low-level stuff and alerting and a custom dashboard for presenting all
that in its full sexyness.

My first thought however was "sys_registry" or some other generic
storage as close as possible to "key=value".

> I hope we will hear about your results. It's always interesting to see
> what others are doing with our toy.

Having about 100 instances in the system just made me realize there are
some tweaks that need to be done. I already have some patches against
latest trunk ("maxitems" => 10000, sorting/autosizing/greater height for
instance and test selectors, etc.). I'll send them to you as udiffs in a
couple of days.

Cheers
Chris