[TYPO3-caretaker] RFC: caretaker_instance mass installation

Martin Ficzel martin.ficzel at gmx.de
Tue Aug 24 23:50:03 CEST 2010

Am 24.08.10 23:21, schrieb Christoph Moeller:
> Hi Martin,
> thanks for your reply!
>
> Martin Ficzel schrieb:
>> To your problem. I would recommend to solve this in two steps.
>>
>> 1. Check that you are monitoring all your instances: therefore the
>> careztaker_selftest extension could be a good start. At the moment it
>> brings only one test which takes a list of instances (as Text or URL)
>> and checks that instance records for all those instances exist. Ofcourse
>> it's up to the admin to create a setup where those instance-lists can be
>> read only from the caretaker-server.
>
> Good point, just had a look at the extension.
> I just don't get how to use that test without applying it to some random
> instance and then run it from there (which works, after all) - this
> makes no sense IMO if we just want to check if all given instances are
> fully created and get a list of new ones to create.
>
> Is there a way to run the test manually or by a scheduler task (didn't
> find one) and get its output? Or store it to the registry?

Hi Christoph,

we also use a specific instance for each server-machine we are running
and instances for each TYPO3-installation. On each server we have a url
which puts out the list of all currently configured domains. Offcourse
this script can only be acessed from the caretaker server. The script to
create this list is deployed over all hosts.

So if we add a new TYPO3-instance to one of our servers we automatically
get a message in the monitoring afterwards. The step to automatically
create the needed records for each instance is not automated yet.

Regards Martin

PS: The instance for the server-machine usually gets some other tests
too which are not related to the typo3 instances. Therefore we prepared
seperate Testgroups for the Machines and the TYPO3-installations.