[TYPO3-performance] Re: Scaling TYPO3 horizontally

Norbert Sendetzky n.sendetzky at metaways.de
Tue Dec 3 08:41:08 CET 2013

Hi Philipp

> We use APC and memcached (i think mostly because of comfort).

Byte code caches like APC are a must! Otherwise half of the time is spent with compiling the code, especially if you have a big code base. Our Arcavias webshop extension profits even more because we store e.g. configuration in the shared memory to reduce the number of file system accesses (which can slow down an application a lot).

> Id like to hear something about the boosting of those first-requests, what are the worst performance killers you experienced?

Performance tests have shown that a lot of time is spent in the TYPO3 code:
- ca. 250ms for TYPO3 initialization
- ca. 200ms for Extbase initialization
- ca. 1ms per link generated
- ca. 1ms per created RealURL link (fastest version with CHash as part of the URL)

If you are generating 100 links on a page for example (think of a list view), your server will spent another 200ms only for the links. We've also noticed, that TYPO3 was getting slower and slower from 4.5 to 6.1. Up to now 4.5 is the fastest version but we hope that 6.2 will change that :-)

> From which improvements would we have the greatest benefits you think?
> Views? Change to Standalone PHP Views instead of Fluid Views?

We use PHP-based views for two reasons: Portability and speed. Fluid ist damn slow in 4.5 but the situation should be better since the compiled templates are cached since. 4.6.

Norbert