[TYPO3-performance] Re: Scaling TYPO3 horizontally

Norbert Sendetzky n.sendetzky at metaways.de
Tue Dec 3 08:41:11 CET 2013

Hi Ernesto

> Why use varnish at all? nginx is a load balancer, reverse proxy *and*
> SSL endpoint all in one. And it's pretty fast already. What benefit is
> added by having an additional component in the already complex stack
> (Varnish)? Just to get 1% or 2% of "even more" performance?

Varnish is an option for websites that doesn't need cookies for user-related content. We found it very difficult to use Varnish in combination with the Arcavias e-commerce TYPO3 extension because shop owners would like to have a small basket on almost every page. Some thoughts were around using AJAX/XHR to fetch the basket afterwards but as this is a very crucial functionality of a web shop, it should work without Javascript available.

For us, the best way up to now is to use VMs with webserver and MySQL slaves processing all requests only from memory and use a master VM which replicates to the MySQL slaves. The important thing here is that you can't use all extensions because they must be adapted to write to the master database server.

Norbert