[TYPO3-performance] Re: Scaling TYPO3 horizontally

Norbert Sendetzky n.sendetzky at metaways.de
Tue Dec 3 08:41:06 CET 2013

Hi Robert

> Can somebody let me (being a newbie on this sector) know, whether it makes sense / is possible to use Redis and Varnish at the same time? Would Redis help make the BE faster / more stable? Does it influence the FE output in case there is Varnish (I suppose not, since Varnish holds its own cache, right)?

Redis as caching backend doesn't have an influence on the admin backend as the caching is just removed from the database and pushed to another server. Redis is very fast but TYPO3 limits the possible speed improvement by sending one request for each lookup even if Redis and others support multiple commands per request. Thus, network latency adds up for each request with is at least 5-15ms per lookup. You get out the most of Redis if your database server is already suffering from the amount of request.

If you don't need cookies for user-related content or logins, Varnish will do a much better job.

Norbert