[TYPO3-english] TYPO3 6.0 at the corner? How is it possible

François Suter fsu-lists at cobweb.ch
Fri Mar 9 15:52:55 CET 2012

Hi Andi,

> It would be great if we could get back to a real open and worldwide spread
> community with a more basis democratic structure and communicational ways.

There are a lot of very valid points in all of what you said. It took
years for TYPO3 to start spreading in the US, so one part of the answer
is patience. The fact that there was a certification in Asia and that
there's going to be a conference is already an improvement.

Other than that I would say that the best way to make yourself better
known is to start organizing events, meetings, code sprints, whatever
and make as much noise as you can about it. The TYPO3 community does not
really have any central structure which can help local structures.
Consider the French community: it's very lively, but you nearly never
see any French developer in these mailing lists. They have their own
national web site (typo3.fr), their own forums and their own conference
since years already. In a way it's a shame that they exist in a nearly
isolated fashion, on the other hand they didn't wait for the creation of
an official national structure or from some support from the Association
to get organized. That's also part of an open source movement.

I definitely hope that we are moving towards more democratic processes,
although it is clear from all these discussions that "democratic" and
"community" mean different things for different people. From a
developer's point of view, nothing prevents anyone from contributing
code to TYPO3 from anywhere in the world, nor even becoming a core team
member if your contributions are recognized. From a user's point of view
it is certainly more difficult to get involved, but let's hope this will
improve in the future.

Cheers

--

Francois Suter