[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Chris Zepernick {SwiftLizard} chris at swift-lizard.com
Thu May 19 13:55:22 CEST 2011

Hey Felix,

> So basically you wanna sit back, relax and wait for the perfect,
> performant and well documented framework to happen ... to you ... for free?

I think it is really time for you to step back dude, ... Mattes has been
around Typo3 way longer than you aor most of the other guys around,
and contributed much more work then the most of us ... so keep it low ..

>> And to those waving the voluntary work flag...
>> If you wouldn't have risen the expectations above what your code can
>> achieve, noone would be bashin ya.
>
> I totally understand that. If we don't meet your expecations just keep
> on bashing, that's the totally right thing to do !

Honestly,.. there has been no bashing to my mind, we all Mattes, PeKü,
Joey, me and many others told the Extbase guys as well as the Flow guys
that the aproach is a nice one, but is far from enterprise at the moment
it is more for MIT and to get Typo3 Devs to develop more pro and less kiddy.

As Joey told in another mail you can not wave the enterprise flag and
then deliver a software that only works for small and mid size
environments.

I know that most of the guys working with T3 only work in projects that
have a budget way below 100k€, for these even the actuall E&F approach
is totaly fine, because they are not that complex, and don´t have that
much users and / or traffic.

But there are these few guys that work enterprise level, with SLAs,
budgets far beyond 100k€, that have to deliver data 100% reliable in
99.98% of the time, in high performance, scalable environments.

Please don´t get this wrong guys but I am really sick of this kiddy
reactions anytime someone critizes you and your work, and I really do
not appreciate the sentense "for me it works totally fine", man up and
react like the pro you want us to treat you like.

None of us ever said or will say your work is totally crap. Never. We
all apreciate your hard work.

But at the moment the communication on all T3 events, in all Blogs is,
E&F is the way to go, if you want to be future proof at least. And sorry
guys, at the moment it is not. From my point of view it is pre alpha,
and for from usage in enterprise production environments. We have alot
of bugs, the stuff is not scalable, does not perform and not enterprise
ready.

A lot of guys contributed ideas, suggestions and changes for this
enterprise level, because they work on this level, none of them taken as
far as i can read and see so far. And everytime someone says something
like "guys it is nice, but we have to change some mayor things to get it
enterprise ready and for us to work with", we have exactly a discussion
like this.

And Felix as well as Peter Niederlag, ... guys besides the contributing
code work, which again we all apreciate, there is a lot of other work
for the community that is done by the silent members, guy for instance
like me Joey, Mattes, and many more that get Kühne & Nagel, Telekom,
Vodafone, Bitburger, VW, Cisco, Mercedes, to work with Typo3 and stay
with Typo3 and get them to be members of the association, or pay
freelancers for typo3 work so that they have time to contribute.

So please stop waving the do something for the community flag, it is not
only code work that has made us that big and successful.

Cheers

Chris