[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Mathias Schreiber [wmdb] mathias.schreiber at wmdb.de
Wed May 18 16:42:25 CEST 2011

Am 18.05.11 16:36, schrieb Daniel Brün:
> Hi folks,
>
> stormy weather today in framework-country! ;-)
>
> First of all: The early comments regarding our decision are not that wrong.
> We decided to go for extbase knowing that this a little risky. We really
> have a bunch of experienced developers here that are able to fix things
> themselves, that made us more confident to be able to cope with whatever
> problems might arise. Still, we reached a point where our developers
> proposed to switch technologies.

ouch

> My fear is that many other agencies that are not as software-focused as we
> are just do not know that there are problems. You really have to dig in
> extbase to find this stuff out, because it is not documented anywhere!

Docs naturally come later. But I think this is ok.
Now that it's stable it's a good time for writing docs.

> Everyone gets the impression that extbase is a finished product and the
> future of TYPO3. A search on web or twitter for fluid or extbase almost
> exclusively results in people cheering this framework up.

Futuristic Template building v2 ;-)

> What is lacking in extbase is some kind of CTO that monitors the development
> of the framework, a decent code review process and thorough quality
> assurance.

We proposed this to the T3A some time ago (I guess when FLOW3 started)
but noone was willing to do the job unpaid and the T3A did not have the
budget for it.
But in general... yes.

--
Ernesto, Nov. 9th 2010:
"In the graphics generation routines of TYPO3 *anything* could cause a