[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Daniel Brün dbruen at saltation.de
Wed May 18 16:36:36 CEST 2011

Hi folks,

stormy weather today in framework-country! ;-)

First of all: The early comments regarding our decision are not that wrong.
We decided to go for extbase knowing that this a little risky. We really
have a bunch of experienced developers here that are able to fix things
themselves, that made us more confident to be able to cope with whatever
problems might arise. Still, we reached a point where our developers
proposed to switch technologies.

My fear is that many other agencies that are not as software-focused as we
are just do not know that there are problems. You really have to dig in
extbase to find this stuff out, because it is not documented anywhere!
Everyone gets the impression that extbase is a finished product and the
future of TYPO3. A search on web or twitter for fluid or extbase almost
exclusively results in people cheering this framework up.

Of course, we will gladly supply examples and benchmarks for the problems we
found.

What is lacking in extbase is some kind of CTO that monitors the development
of the framework, a decent code review process and thorough quality
assurance. With structures like these in place we would probably feel much
better today.

Cheers,
Dan