[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Maximilian Kalus typo3 at beimax.de
Wed May 18 16:08:35 CEST 2011

Dmitry Dulepov:
> > Extbase is not too powerful at all.
>
> But simple to create extensions.

Well said and true. That's what I like about such frameworks :-)

But: On the one side you have a framework, on the other side you have a
specific project you want to implement. Trying to marry both will quite
often mean doing things that were never "intended in the framework".
This is not a problem specific to Extbase, you will encounter them in
Symfony, CakePHP, CodeIgniter and all those other ORM-Frameworks out
there, too.

The blog example shows an easy use-case for Extbase - in real live you
would want to include multiple dynamic frontend-upload fields,
complicated acls, cached PDF-generation, data-import from a remote XML
source using SOAP and a scheduler task depending both on the flexform
data entered in the plugin and TS. Oh my - such things are real fun in
Extbase ;-)

Still, there are many reasons to use extbase - not only FLOW3. How often
have I fought with applying changes to quick-and-dirty extensions after
the original programmer had disappeared and the code was only compatible
with TYPO3 3.8? I find Extbase really helps in such cases, forcing
programmers to code better (generally, at least).

Best regards,
Max.