[TYPO3-dev] The extbase dilemma

Dmitry Dulepov dmitry.dulepov at gmail.com
Wed May 18 13:13:23 CEST 2011

Hi!

Felix Oertel wrote:
> Ok, so you ask yourself why extbase extensions are used in production the same time you are telling us you decided to build YOUR production extension on extbase?

Well, Extbase is advertised a lot and there are successful extension built
upon Extbase. I think it depends a lot on the extension complexity.
Something like a blog or news will do but message boards with permission
checks for each user and attachments could be too hard to make because
Extbase is still experimental.

>> The main purpose of extbase was to prepare developers for the next major
>> release of TYPO3: Version 5.
>
> Who told you that? ;-)

Have a look: http://news.typo3.org/news/article/get-into-flow3-with-extbase/

Quote: "The core team thought it was a good idea to make Extbase a part of
the TYPO3 core in the upcoming 4.3 release. In 4.3 you will be able to
create extensions using this new MVC extension base library. Apart from
very clean and lightweight code there is an added bonus when you create
code using the new Extbase; Your code will run on future TYPO3 5.0 with
minor modifications! That's right. All extensions created for TYPO3 4.3
using Extbase will run on TYPO3 5.0 with only minor changes."

That was always the official position: do it in Extbase and run it later on
FLOW3.

--
Dmitry Dulepov
TYPO3 core&security team member