[TYPO3-dev] Ideas solving the bloated TER problem?

Jigal van Hemert jigal at xs4all.nl
Thu Nov 26 09:59:13 CET 2009

Bernhard Kraft wrote:
> Jigal van Hemert schrieb:
>
>> A good opportunity to move to extBase/Fluid? ;-)
>
> Just doing everything in an MVC concept is not the solution of all
> problems. Even MVC applications can be coded in a bad style.

As I answered to Dmitry's post, using Extbase/Fluid is to me not about
using just an MVC tool but more about preparing for TYPO3 version 5.

Steffen Ritter already mentioned that there will be a Extbase-base news
module announced to be released with TYPO3 4.4. This means that there
will be a news extension available for version 5. tt_news can exist for
the 4.x line or prepare itself for 5.x, just like the maintainers see fit.

> Using something like the above approach handles almost any thinkable
> situation. You do not need to edit extension code again and again to fit
> all your needs. Just configure it using TypoScript!

I agree fully. Adding a bit of code to handle the display of the
database fields (whichever may exist in the table in the future) plus
the opportunity to add new markers is relatively easy. The rest can be
done in TypoScript.
You will only need to edit the code to add new features, but not to add
new fields to the output (even if another extension adds columns to your
database tables).

Regards, Jigal.