[TYPO3-dev] Ideas solving the bloated TER problem?

bernd wilke xoonsji02 at sneakemail.com
Thu Nov 12 17:30:07 CET 2009

On Thu, 12 Nov 2009 10:42:44 +0100 Stig Nørgaard Færch wrote:

> TER becomes more and more bloated with more or less redundant
> extensions. Has there been any concensus on how to solve this problem?
>
> My thoughts:
>
> No good extension overview
> TER doesn't provide a good oveview of what already exists. If I don't
> find what I need, I create it. But maybe it already existed in the TER -
> but I couldn't find it.
> We really need categorization of extensions back.

ther already is a categorization, but not by theme/object of the
extensions

> Mangement of key extensions
> When key extensions are managed by individuals, we have a greater risc
> that development at some point stops. TYPO3 companies should manage key
> extensions of TYPO3.

TYPO3 by itself is managed NOT by TYPO3 companies, why should extensions
be?

> Key extensions supported by the Association The Association should
> support a specific key extension of each category (not necessarily with
> money) which supports the most common features of that category. Then
> decisionmaker with the money knows which ones are worth supporting.

this is planned for years by pushing good extension with tagging them
with a 'reviewed' status. Which is necessary if the association selects
an extension to prefer. It means responsibility for the correctness of
this extension.
BUT: these reviews costs manpower / money.
Support the association to get more reviews and you will get your
supported extensions.

also there is the possibility to rate extensions for everyone.
maybe it would be more popular if there is a commenting/discussion thread
for each extension (like for firefox-extensions)

And maybe we could get a better categorization/search-algorithm if
everyone is allowed to tag an extension with his own keywords. there are
a lot of extension which miss (the right) keywords.

> Channelize money
> It should be easier to donate money.

I think donation (to the association) is easy, maybe you would be happier
if you could bound your donation to a special purpose.

bernd
--
http://www.pi-phi.de/cheatsheet.html