[TYPO3-about] Working as a developer instead of making documentation

Tolleiv Nietsch tolleiv.nietsch at typo3.org
Mon Jan 21 19:51:13 CET 2013

Hi,

few points that I can think of:

* it's too hard to contribute to documentation (OpenOffice formats
aren't meant for collaboration - ReST hasn't fully arrived)
* there's more direct feedback for newly developed features in the
software compared to well written documentation
* release agendas concentrate on software features and not an
"documentation coverage"
* most contributors work as developers during their main job and
continue that within the community - but the type of documentation
needed for the community differs from what they do during their day job
* importance of documentation is underestimated
* our "role-model contributors" aren't also bad at documentation - "if
they don't do it - why should I"
* the workflows for contribution of documentations and code aren't connected

Hope this helps.

Cheers.

--
Tolleiv Nietsch