[TYPO3-about] Working as a developer instead of making documentation

Georg Ringer typo3 at ringerge.org
Tue Jan 22 07:05:58 CET 2013

Hi,

Am 21.01.2013 12:09, schrieb Christian Woebbeking:
> Since being part of this community as a volunteer inside the T3-Docu-Team I
> often ask myself:
> * Why do people support this kind of projects?
> * And furthermore: Why do people prefer working as a developer instead of
> making documentation?

- documentation is really about quality and not quantity. TER is
different, so there are many thousands of extension which are really not
worth a penny and I doubt that many of those could have written a good
documentation in the same time because
- writing documentation is really hard because you need to know about so
many things. It is not only about the technical stuff like OpenOffice
but also about the code you are writing.
- writing documentation needs skills too ;) Not everybody can write good
extensions, not everybody can write docs, those are skills too which you
need to have/to get, ....
- reST is now the far better chance to make a better documentation but
it is still very techie
- Developers don't know what is needed because they developed the code,
looked it a 1000 times and have different questions in mind then an
integrator.

About me:
I am certainly writing many extensions and a lot of docs too but
certainly too less. I moved my first extension to reST and I miss an
online editor like http://rst.ninjs.org/ with the TYPO3 styles.
Certainly the most awesome way would be to be able to load an existing
documentation and be able to edit it on the fly ...

What maybe would easier to do is a comments section because like on
php.net the comments are sometimes even more important than the official
docs

Georg