[Neos] [Team] Raising PHP requirement for Neos 1.2 to PHP 5.4

Robert Lemke robert at typo3.org
Fri Jun 27 13:12:07 CEST 2014

Hi Jigal,

On 26. Jun 2014, at 21:20 , Jigal van Hemert <jigal.van.hemert at typo3.org> wrote:

> One thing that we encountered with TYPO3 CMS is the LTS version of various OS distributions. Debian Squeeze will get security updates until february 2016. Another peculiarity of these distributions is that they often stick with the version of various tools that they originally shipped. It looks like Debian Squeeze will stay with PHP 5.3  (currently version 5.3.3-7+squeeze19).
> They backport all patches for 5.3.x and most likely they will even continue to do so with patches for 5.4 which do not introduce features.
>
> People will need to upgrade their OS to be able to move to newer PHP versions; most sysadmins will not want to install packages that are not from the stable repository and will thus stay with something that is identified as PHP 5.3.
>
> (LTS versions seems to limit progress in software quite a bit IMO)

yes, you're right, I had that in mind, too.

So unless we really need it, I would _note_ bump the PHP version for Flow yet and keep PHP 5.3 compatibility for the next version at least (Flow 2.3). But since Neos is rather new and we don't expect many people complaining about it, I'd say we raise the requirement to 5.4.

If needed, let's discuss in a separate thread if or when Flow should use 5.4.

Cheers,
Robert